Holy Week culminates with Easter reflections

Esteban Serrano, Lead Editor

What do you think of when you hear “Easter?” East is the dawn, perhaps, or the return of Spring, growth, and fertility. Or perhaps it’s those elusive eggs hidden somewhere, waiting to be found. Maybe it’s those chocolate Russell Stover bunnies, or even the Peeps. Well, to many, it means something much bigger. While theories vary on the ancient origins of this revered weekend, the significance of Easter, and this profoundly reverant holiday, is even more meaningful.

Campus Ministry Director, Eric Villapando, talks about just that in an interview. “It’s such a pivotal time for Christians around the world…without the events that we remember during Easter, there is no Christianity! So it’s so important to take the Easter time to reaffirm our faith and take time to pray on, and let the events of Jesus’s death and resurrection transform who we are!”, he says.

He continues on, considering his role on campus at Central and his personal experience to what the Easter season means to him. He says, “For me I really like to focus and pay attention in a special way to what Jesus is doing in my heart this Easter. I thinks He’s asking me and us to go deeper then ever before in His truth before the worlds answers for us and our troubles! Trust in Jesus not in the world.”

Fr. Sean Downing, shares the significance of the Easter Triduum in his own words. “We remember the Institution of the Eucharist and going through Christ’s Passion and His Death, and of course His Resurrection. I think it’s a time, especially during the time of this pandemic where we have spent a lot of patient endurance and we have had to adapt and change.” He continues, “I think it’s taken on a special meaning. What it means to do without, to suffer, and to know that there is new life in Christ coming.”

Compared to last year, right at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic where Churches had no celebrations for Easter, Fr. Sean explains his excitement for this year. This all comes after the Archdiocese posted on their Facebook page announcing plans to get more people in the churches starting this Easter Weekend. “It does look like we are going to be able to go to our parishes. It is something to be joyful about, and to appreciate and to realize how important it is to come together as a community to pray to realize what really is important in our culture.”

He continues, “One of the good things that comes out of the pandemic is we realize the importance of our faith in Christ, that it centers us to be a community and not just having a good time, but to build a better world.”

From the Pep staff, we would like to wish you and your families a safe, enjoyable, and memorable Easter!

Mr. Cassler
Esteban Serrano
Mr. Cassler

Esteban Serrano
Esteban Serrano