Yearbook chronicles aspects of Brotherhood

Kaiwen Wang, Staff Writer

Though the relentless time will eventually run out on another fruitful school year, what the clock ticks can’t terminate are the lovely memories shared by more than six hundred of students and faculty over the year span. As an accumulation of some of the most creative minds in Central Catholic, the 2018-2019 yearbook staff is once more aiming to seize the moment by highlighting various aspects of student life.

Although the details of the yearbook should remain unveiled until the formal publication, the beans about the theme of this yearbook are already spilled to the public. Selected as the theme for the 2018-2019 yearbook, the idea of the“Brotherhood” is not only an embodiment of the true essence of the student and alumni community, but also the reflection of our relationship with the school itself. Since 1852, the culture of Central Catholic has been faithfully woven together. Consistent with this ideology, the composition of the yearbook staff is a prime example of this describes connection between Central Catholic and its students.

Consisting of mainly upperclassmen, the ten individuals led by Lead Editor Diego Lopez exhibit a broad spectrum of student life, an diversity that is also essential at Central Catholic. During the process of composition, whether it is the yearbook or the Pep, the broad variety of interests that this group possesses have indeed proven beneficial. “The assignments required me to be more involved in the school,” commented Junior staffer Moses Yanas, whose active JROTC status also earned him the anchorman position in covering JROTC news.

As a cumulative effort and generosity of the alumni association and the Brotherhood, the global communication lab located on the third floor also provided the class with the elusive opportunity of technological advancements. With Walsworth yearbook’s online assessment to edit the yearbook, the committed staffers are now able to come in the global communication lab on a daily basis and make adjustments to a yearbook spreads by just making several clicks online. “The lab has been a huge advantage for staff to work on spreads,” said Publications Adviser Mr. Cassler. “This is the first time this opportunity has been given to us.” Often misunderstood as a burdensome process, writing in fact has empowered each individual during the course of the publication class.

Providing an equal opportunity for both the elite composers and the average writers, Mr. Cassler has set up the elaborate plan for the success of both each individual and the yearbook as a whole. As each student complete every composition assessment, each individual became more creative as well as intricate in terms of writing. As repeated by Mr. Cassler, the very definition of “relevant” was eventually found consistent in every student’s composition after every story published on the Pep. “This is a community-focused product”, commented Advisor Mr. Cassler, we are keeping everything in the yearbook as relevant as we can.” Challenging the staffer’s level of thinking, Advisor Mr. Cassler has also emphasized the journalistic significance of making contacts with people and asking appropriate questions. “It really helped me with communication”, said Senior Staffer Zach Arndt, “I learned how to ask solid questions.”

When asked about the expected outcome of this yearbook, Junior staffer Moses Yanas describes that it would be “different than the previous ones”. “But I think there is a spot waiting for us in the Gallery of Excellence”, Yanas added. Remarkably, the past three yearbooks for which Mr. Cassler has advised have all been honored in Walsworth’s Gallery of Excellence. A four-peat would not only be the best contribution to the graduating senior class but also an elusive honor to the dedicated yearbook staff members.

Kaiwen Wang
Kaiwen Wang
Kaiwen Wang