COVID-19 offers more isolation and uncertainty

Esteban Serrano, Staff Writer

Well, two long weeks have gone by and here we are. All we can do is wait, pray, and of course, use common sense to help prevent the worst. Dozens of celebrities are in quarantine right now along with most of the world, sports is still off along with school, and the economy seems to be decreasing by the second. Grocery stores across the country are seeing absolute demolition, with customers trying to purchase essentials needed. Toilet paper and milk are among those much needed and demanded items right now. We do not know when we might be able to hug or shake someone’s hand again, and it has only gotten worse but as everyone is saying and it is true, “We are all in this together.” To anyone who may be reading this article, I am sending the best wishes that everyone is safe and healthy during this time of uncertainty.

Technology can be very useful at a time like this. Maybe you are using it to call a friend or family member while practicing social distancing, maybe for an office meeting, or for a journalist to interview people. If you are a student like me, you probably have had to get use to the new distant learning procedure that involves using some technology. While students may be feeling the pressure of online learning, teachers are also feeling it as well. Angela Garcia, head of the Spanish Department at Central, says “This is my 21st year teaching.  Each year, strong, positive relationships become more and more important with my students and the pandemic has really reinforced the need for connection and some sense of normalcy.  I was shocked and saddened to hear about the school year being postponed and then the possible return date continuing to be extended just made me even sadder!” She is also the coordinator for the Spanish Club, whose plans are obviously cut short due to the pandemic. She says they annually participate in Fiesta events, but as we all know, Fiesta 2020 has been postponed until November of this year. She says it is also throwing off most of the other events they usually have on their plate every year in the spring, but she definitely is staying positive. “The Spanish Club is awesome!  The members’ optimistic outlook and unconditional support help me to focus on the things that matter most:  making memories and making an impact in our community, while honoring the Latino culture. Yes!  We will be back and stronger, closer than ever as a club!  Spring is definitely the busiest for us.  We volunteer annually at Fiesta events (which we all know has been postponed until November), we support the elderly with nursing home visits and/or donation drives, we also celebrate the amazing women in our lives during Celebramos a Mamá in May, over 150 students participate in the National Spanish Exam, Spanish Honor Society inductions take place for our qualified level 3 and 4 students credit by exam for the incoming freshmen takes place, SO MANY ACTIVITIES that are on hold for now.” She also just wanted to thank you to all the healthcare workers and elderly people that she believes to be “scared and anxious during these times.” Along with sending a pretty valuable reminder to the community: “LAVEN SUS MANOS Y QUÉDENSE EN LA CASA…Wash your hands and stay home!  Con Cariño, Sra. García.”

Academics first, the sports world at all levels are experiencing abnormality during this time. Of course you already know, the NBA, NHL, XFL, have all had their seasons postponed as of now, and March Madness, which would have been taking place right now, got cancelled completely. Looking to baseball, Major League Opening Day was supposed to be yesterday, leaving many fans and players alike bummed and disappointed. That is not the only level of baseball taking a hit. Central Catholic Baseball is also feeling it horribly. Coach Dan Heep says that he and his team have taken to alternatives to try and stay healthy, during this weird off-season. “This is the first time something like this has happened in my 30 years of coaching.  We are unable to have  workouts or any type of  one on one instruction. You could say we have don’t have an opportunity to coach at all. We are only posting workout schedules to try to stay in shape the best they can.” Friday, March 13, the Buttons were supposed to participate in NEISD tournament at East Central, until it got suspended. When asked about how positive he was that the season would be resumed soon, Coach Heep had this to say, “Right now I’m not sure. I’m hoping we have a chance to salvage some part of the season… Hopefully we have time to practice as a team if we start playing again this season. Not much else we can do. It’s a tough situation for everyone.”

Whether sports or not, everything is feeling the impact. This includes JROTC and the Central Catholic Band. Sophomore Juan Pablo Fabregat, who participates in both, says when asked about how this has affected his activities, said “It has been hard because we have not been able to practice ever since this whole pandemic started.” As for when it will end, he simply had this to say, “I hope it ends soon.”

We all do hope it ends soon, and we pray that this eventually winds down as vaccinations and other forms of relief are getting tested for use at this very moment. According to multiple reports just today, President Trump signed a stimulus relief bill of over 6 trillion dollars for families who make until a certain amount of money each year. The largest stimulus package in U.S. History.

I leave you with this Bible verse from Isaiah 41:10:

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler