Antonian v. Central: statistical preview

Esteban Serrano, Lead Editor

The long two-year wait is finally complete. Friday will be the first time since 2019 that the Antonian Apaches will play the Central Catholic Buttons in a rivalry that spans back generations. Anticipated by many to be a very entertaining game, the event will take place at Antonian’s football stadium. While there are many different aspects of the game to be interested in, whether on either side of the aisle, the statistics may tell the story on Friday night.

**All statistics and general information used come from the MaxPreps website and CBS Sports.

The Central Catholic Buttons are having the best season they’ve had in a few years, and the records definitely show. The Buttons are 8-1 on the season, and are undefeated in district. Those five district wins come from a homecoming win against San Antonio Christian, (9/24) St. Pius X, (10/1) on the road to the Houston area for two weeks, (10/8) at Concordia Lutheran, and at St. Thomas the following week. (10/15)

Most recently, coming off a well-deserved bye week, Central was back in the gridiron last Friday against St. John XXIII, (10/29) and won that game, causing a mercy rule to be invoked by the end of the second quarter. The only loss that Central Catholic had was to Alamo Heights. (9/10)

Central’s season number totals in terms of yards is actually spectacular. The season passing yards so far are 1541, and the rushing yards total out to 1793. These numbers are thanks to offensive players such as Senior Quarterback and Army Commit, Sylas Gomez. (#2) Jonah Dunlap (#21) and Fullback Michael Mayhugh, (#15) have been the main contributors to the rushing side.

The Buttons are without Braeden Flowers, (#36) as he went down with a lower leg injury in this past Friday’s game. It is still unconfirmed to The Pep, but Central is also projected to play without defensive hero Caleb Harrison, (#10) after he was shaken up last Friday as well.

On the other side, the Antonian Apaches are trying to capitalize with a win against Central. The Apaches are 5-4 overall on the season, and are 3-2 in district. With that 3-2 record, they are in 4th place in district play, sitting behind Concordia Lutheran who is 4-1.

Antonian’s losses are to Floresville, Harlandale, St. Thomas, and Concordia Lutheran. The latter of the two were in district play.

Antonian has a limited number of seniors playing on the varsity roster this year. Sophomore Jayce Toscano, (#8) has been a talented key player for Antonian. He has averaged more stats than the national average in total yards and passing as a quarterback. He has 768 total yards on the season.

Another threat to the Central defense will be junior wide receiver, Ricky Gonzalez. (#5) His stats compared to many players exceed the expectations for a high school wide receiver. He has a total of 857 yards on the season, and is averaging 15.3 yards a game.

While Central Catholic is the favored team to win this game, district rivalry games always are toss ups. The game will take place at Ferrara Stadium on the campus of Antonian College Preparatory High School. Keep up with The Pep in the next few days for continuing coverage of the 43rd meeting of these two rivals.