#Noahstrong: support from the community

Esteban Serrano, Lead Editor

A month ago, the Pep brought you the story of Noah Adams and his ongoing battle with cancer. The Central Catholic senior was diagnosed earlier this year with Ewing Sarcoma, which is a rare form of cancer affecting the bones of children and young adults.

Since the diagnosis and his story being released by Adams’ mom, Debi Harper, support has been pouring in from other states across the country and even in Canada. In the previous interview, Adams said, “Along with my ‘brothers’ and what not, there’s just a bunch of random people helping. My mom was reached out to by someone from Ontario, Canada and there’s people in Nebraska and California asking for updates because they saw my story. The amount of support is just really overwhelming. I honestly don’t know where it’s coming from… but I didn’t think it would haul for this much support. It’s overwhelming and baffling to know I have this much support. There’s people behind my back from everywhere.”

On Sunday, the Central Catholic community was involved in a surprise drive-by parade for Adams, wishing him luck and best wishes as he goes into surgery this Wednesday. Vehicles of people from the community showed support by honking horns, making signs, giving cards and gifts to Adams as he waved from a distance.

“It was exciting,” Adams said chuckling. “I saw a Mustang there and I thought some other things, but once I saw my friends I was like, oh okay!.. We are doing a support thing. Adams had no foreknowledge of the parade, but knew he was going to meet his friends and family for an event. “It was a little overwhelming,” Adams said. “A lot of support and a lot of love, and I was glad they’re showing their support,” he added.

He then talked about his close friends and family being there for the moment, saying, “They’ve been there through like, everything. So to see them in the flesh, it’s awesome.” Harper, who was pretty astonished herself over the moment dedicated to her son, weighed in as well. She said, “It was awesome. We saw a lot of the underclassmen who probably don’t even know Noah because he hasn’t been on campus yet and that was a really good thing for Noah to see.” When asked what was going through her mind during the moment, she said, “So much love.” She continued, “…and the brotherhood that they have as well. Just kind of seeing the brotherhood there and so many people reaching out… it is just really great.”

They were each asked about the surgery taking place on Wednesday. According to a letter sent out by the Central Catholic parent/student communication system, Aeries, Adams will undergo a rotationplasty procedure. According to The Dana-Farber/Boston Children’s Cancer Institute Website, danafarberbostonchildrens.org, “Rotationplasty is one of several types of surgical procedures that can be used to treat malignant bone tumors, that occur near a child’s knee (in the lower part of the femur or upper tibia bone). This unusual procedure preserves the lower leg, attaches it to the thighbone, then uses the ankle as a knee joint.”

“I’m scared,” Harper said, while Adams said, “I am excited.” Adams continued, “I am so ready to just start living with it and to start finding my way around life with it.” With Harper’s contradicting feelings, she said, “It is hard for me to accept that my son, walking with two legs, will walk out with one. I trust the doctors, I really do. Our medical team is absolutely amazing, but to know that this is going to happen to my son and in a few days my son is going to be an amputee is scary.”

Principal Stephen Walswick was also present at the event. “The brotherhood is about being there for all the good times and the hard times, and standing by each other no matter what someone is going through,” Walswick said while being impressed by the turnout of students and supporters. When asked about what it was like to be apart of the event, he said, “This is exactly what Noah needs and exactly what the community needs. Anytime you have to battle something as difficult as cancer, the more community and the more life and spirit that you have, it’s going to get you through it.”

While Noah’s enthusiasm has put him in a comfortable and peaceful position to be able to accept it, his mother thinks otherwise and says it is a difficult thing for her as a mother to be going through. Below is a link to a Go-Fund-Me set up by his aunt, where you can help him and his family by making a donation.

https://gf.me/u/yjsgyt