JROTC achievement awards go virtual for 2020

Esteban Serrano, Editor

As the city starts to see some cultural aspects of the American way of life start to get back to normal, school is on the list of things that has been postponed for the safety of students, teachers, and faculty. The JROTC award ceremony usually takes place at the end of the year in recognition of outstanding cadets who have made a statement for themselves during the academic school year.

This year, like many things, the COVID-19 Pandemic has prevented mass gatherings from occurring. “It has been a little challenging, considering we normally have cadets helping and organizing and putting awards together,” Captain Dwayne Rhodes explained.

The e-Button from May 15 contained an advertisement for the event. It is scheduled for May 26 at 10am via Zoom. “We have developed a PowerPoint with one-hundred and forty slides,” Captain Rhodes says. “We are going to put a cadet’s picture up and describe what the cadet has gotten as an award.”

The format of the event is designed to keep everyone distant but together, and will include other recognition including:

• promotions for the 4th quarter
  • newest team commanders
  • new booster leadership
  • OCS graduates
  • Cadet of the year

“There is always one cadet that stands out and we will announce them at the ceremony,” Captain Rhodes says.

Senior and JROTC student Andres Guzman shared his thoughts about the upcoming awards, and explains how reacting to the ceremony will be different. “I do intend to act up spirited for those who are winning awards because they have worked hard and pushed past their limits to accomplish what they have done… It is definitely going to be different since I will not be able to be physically present next to my brothers.”

He also explains what it is like to be a senior and his last year in the JROTC program being cut short due to the pandemic. “Things may not be what you want them to, but it’s your responsibility to adapt to it and accept it for what it is… I think to be a successful senior in my opinion and I have a sense of pride in what I have done. I worked hard from freshman year all the way to now. It was the drive and mindset that helped me accomplish what I have done in the ROTC program.”

In response to the possibility of a second wave of COVID-19, Captain Rhodes explained other things fellow JROTC have been going through, but overall he is staying “optimistic,” and is “extremely excited” about a possible return to school in August. “We are trying to manage endorsements though email… MSG Robles and SFC Bradford and I have worked eight-hour days.”

Sophomore and JROTC student Teagan Flinn explains how the format of social distancing while learning has been different in the eyes of a student, during the pandemic. “The most obvious change was a lack of classroom instruction…The other major difference was the cancellation of all ROTC teams events to include the Raiders national event in Corpus. Our assignments overall have not changed much to include sending in pictures of our uniforms and videos of PT.”

Captain Rhodes also says he is very optimistic about business getting back to normal soon, school to get back to normal, and that JROTC is taking every obstacle “one step at a time.”

Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler