CC Senior welcomes ‘new normal’ compromise

David Trevino, Editor

During these times, nothing seems normal. I think it’s as simple to put as that. As we strive towards an efficient and quick return to our daily lives, many difficulties are going to arise. One difficult circumstance that was addressed earlier this week was how our community was going to deal with the graduation ceremony for our soon to be alumni of the class of 2020. This day  has been in view of my classmates and I since we first stepped foot in this historic building as freshmen 4 years ago. Obviously, celebrating the class of 2020 while meeting the regulations of our local and state governments is not going to be as simple as graduations prior. But really, as pessimistic as this may sound, what can we really do about it? I’m here to offer my perspective on this difficult, confusing, and emotional situation. 

Earlier this week, Principal Walswick announced what our school planned to do to celebrate the accomplishments of the class of 2020. The school had arranged plans to hold a “social distanced” celebration, located in one of the parking lots at the Quarry. Screens and projectors would be set up in the parking lot, and each senior family would be able to bring 2 cars filled with family members to gather for the celebration. The celebration would then be moved through a procession to ironically the place where it all started, Central Catholic. Upon reading this email, I personally thought this was a fair idea. Although not a traditional graduation, it still celebrated our seniors while maintaining social distancing standards. While I was fine with the idea, deep down I wished I would be able to walk the stage, as my brother did 3 years ago, and as my fellow brothers have done in years before me. Apparently, I was not the only one who felt this way.

This announcement was received with much resentment from many of our seniors and their families. They were hoping a traditional graduation could be held later this Summer, as long as social standards approved of the ceremony. Obviously, if we are still under stay at home orders or social distancing still applies, this graduation would not be possible. Principal Walswick heard these concerns, and immediately offered what I thought to be a great compromise. He first suggested he, student leaders, faculty, and parents all gathered for a Zoom Webinar that was held this past Thursday to discuss this imperative issue. During this meeting, the compromise was thoroughly explained. To simplify the compromise, it was basically an idea that we shouldn’t abandon the Quarry celebration that was to be held later this month, but also strive to hold a more traditional graduation later this Summer if possible. 

As a senior, I genuinely appreciate all the thought and effort being put into a celebration of my classmates and I. At first, I was skeptical of any celebration ideas. I held a negative attitude thinking, “Nothing is normal these days, there’s no reason why we people should be complaining about not having a normal graduation”. This thinking was quickly diminished from one small, yet monumental, heartwarming moment. It was seeing the joy on my mother’s face when discussing these plans. She didn’t seem too annoyed or skeptical of any plans, she was purely excited she had finished sending her third and final child through private school. At that moment, I realized this situation is so much bigger than any opinion I can form of it.

This celebration is important for everyone, from the students who put their heart into this school for 4 years, to the parents who sacrificed for themselves in hopes of giving their sons a top tier education, to the teachers who watched with their own eyes the growth of my classmates and I into young men. I believe the current compromise offered by Principal Walswick ensures our seniors get some sort of graduation celebration. In the worst case scenario, we won’t be able to have a traditional ceremony later in the Summer, but we would still have one this month in a social distanced manner. I see no problems with this compromise, as it keeps our seniors best interests at heart.

I still stand by the phrase placed at the introduction of this story, “nothing seems normal these days”. However, my attitude has totally shifted. We shouldn’t bring ourselves down, and let the circumstances get the best of us. We should rise as a community, and intend to make things as normal as possible. That’s exactly what happened this week, and I couldn’t be more proud to be a part of this community.

Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler
Mauricio Ortega-Rios
Mr. Cassler