Central Senior signs to North Carolina State

David Trevino, Staff Writer

“Playing with Jose has been like watching a magic trick for the past four years.” Senior Alejandro Chavarria had that to say when describing what his journey alongside teammate Jose Gallegos has been like at Central Catholic. Whether its been magic, pure talent, or avid dedication, our community has benefitted greatly from the hard work and commitment of Jose. As great as its been watching Jose work his magic on the soccer pitch, it was also great seeing him commit to a new journey in his life. On November 14, 2019, Central Catholic gathered to watch Jose Gallegos sign his letter of intent to play collegiate soccer at North Carolina State University. 

From his first moments at Bob Benson 66’ Stadium, Jose proved his dominance as an elite soccer player. Through his ball handling abilities, speed, and soccer IQ, Jose helped restore Central’s soccer dynasty by contributing to a state championship in 2017. Hungry for more success, he was determined to relive the glory of receiving the esteemed state championship ring. Jose helped lead Central to another state title his sophomore year, as well as a third consecutive title his junior year. It’s amazing to realize there hasn’t been a year in his years at Central in which Jose hasn’t been a state champion. Jose has increased his number of goals and assists every consecutive season he has played, and even helped Central claim the spot of number one ranked team in the nation for a period of time this past year. Athletic Director Mr. Ybarra recognized not only Jose’s accomplishments at the signing ceremony, but the level of leadership he has developed. Mr. Ybarra praised Jose stating, “He simply makes everyone around him better, and that’s one of the most important aspects of a true leader.” It is apparent the leadership Jose has shown in his 3 years at Central will resonate with his current and future teammates for years to come. 

Along with his decorated career at Central, Jose has displayed his talents on a national level. This past Summer, Jose was selected for the “US Soccer Coaches High School Boys Winter-Spring All American Team”. Along with this accomplishment, Jose also is a member of the USL Championship. Gallegos joined the league when he signed with his hometown club, San Antonio FC, on April 25 , 2019.  Making our city and Central Community proud, Jose has scored and assisted in different games in his time with San Antonio FC. 

Bittersweet feelings filled the Central Cafeteria as teammates, coaches, and classmates gathered to watch Jose make a new commitment in his life. Everyone in attendance could visualize the potential Jose has to thrive at the next level of play.  Head soccer coach Edward Cartee told me North Carolina State can expect an, “extremely talented, extremely hardworking young man who is going to do whatever is required of him to help his team make a run at an ACC championship,” when discussing Jose. Although Jose is still in search of a clean sweep of state championship titles at Central Catholic this upcoming soccer season, it was a touching moment for the Central Catholic soccer community to pause and honor a young man who has made us all proud, and will continue to make Central proud in his future endeavors.

Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler
Mr. Cassler