Bowling Club delivers strikes for new season

David Trevino, Staff Writer

Can Section R on a Friday night be too overwhelming for you? Is our state championship soccer team not entertaining enough for you? Is the excitement of Central hoops just not cutting it for you? If you answered yes to any of these questions, don’t worry, you still may be in luck. This past weekend Central’s bowling team held its first round of open tryouts. With anyone grades 9th-12th able to tryout, the entire bowling alley was filled with the uplifting faith of another successful season. 

Central Catholic’s bowling team was initially formed during the 2016-2017 school year. It’s founding members, seniors Nick Salazar and Eric Hernandez, enjoyed bowling so much they believed they should spread their joy throughout the halls of central. In their inaugural season, the bowling squad introduced themselves to the bowling community with  6 members. Due to their successes, this past weekend around 15 central students showed up for tryouts. Senior member Eric Hernandez was pleased with the turnout saying, “It was really cool seeing that many CC boys ready to get out there and bowl with their bros”. Coming off their third straight season with a playoff appearance, Central’s bowling team is definitely still a force to be reckoned with for opposing teams. 

Last school year brought the most success in the young program’s history. Two current senior members Diego Valle and Nick Salazar were named to the first team all district. When discussing this accolade, Diego told me, “You know that just shows how hard work pays off. Even though the season could get a little tough at times I stuck with it and I’m grateful I could receive this”. Not only was individual success present, but teamwide success was also reciprocated. The squad finished with a winning record along with a season defining victory against rival bowling squad, Antonian College Preparatory. Senior bowler Carlos Hinojosa had faith in his squad to secure the victory against Antonian from the beginning of the season saying, “Even though we were underdogs going into the game, I knew if we went out there and bowled the best we could, we could show Antonian why we are better than them at all sports including bowling”. With this level of confidence  rolling into this season, we should expect big things from our bowling squad. 

If you are interested in joining the Central Bowling squad, hit up team captains Nick Salazar or Eric Hernandez. The team holds practices 2 days a week at the Astro SuperBowl off of Austin Highway. Although bowling with your friends may be expensive at some locations, no entry fee is required when bowling as a team member. The season begins in a few weeks, and games are held periodically through the Winter and into the Spring. Come out and join the Central Catholic bowling squad if you’re interested in an enjoyable, bond-forming time.

Carlos Hinojosa
Carlos Hinojosa
Carlos Hinojosa