Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica honors inductees

Diego Lopez, Staff Writer

Thursday evening Central Catholic’s Spanish Honor Society, or Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica, inducted 19 new members at a formal celebration ceremony on the Central Catholic campus. These high achieving students were chosen for their commitment to the study and appreciation of the Spanish language and culture.

The ceremony took place in the large conference room on campus near the Marianist brothers’ residence, where family, friends, and faculty gathered to witness the swearing in of the new inductees, and an honorary member, Fr. Jim Mueller, S.M., who was also recognized. After a short message by Principal Walswick, Spanish Honor Society officers were invited to speak on the podium to begin the initiation ritual. First, Daniel Mesquiti came to the podium, offering greetings to the audience and recognition to the new initiates. “We are gathered here for the initiation of this group of students who have shown and proven a deep interest in the beautiful Spanish language,” said Mesquiti. Mesquiti then passed the podium to Julio Buelna, who recounted the fascinating history and tradition of the Spanish Honor Society. “This Spanish Honor Society was founded by the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese in 1953, for the students of North American secondary schools; and this chapter is due to the efforts of Deacon Patrick Cunningham of Central Catholic High School who established it in 2007,” said Beulna. Our chapter is named in honor of Henry Cisneros, a notable alumni of Central Catholic. Cisneros served four terms as mayor of San Antonio, becoming the second Latino mayor of a major city in U.S. history, and later served as the 10th Secretary of Housing and Urban Development under President Bill Clinton.

After Beulna’s speech, each candidate was handed a candle. After lighting the “mother candle”, which symbolizes inspiration, the flame was passed from one candle to another, lighting each held by either a candidate or a member. Candidates were then called individually to the front to shake hands with Señora Garcia and Señora Mendez, both Spanish instructors at Central Catholic. There, they received their Spanish Honor Society chords and certificate. To complete the initiation ceremony, candidates recited the Oath of the Society, pledging to continue to learn and practice the Spanish language, and to maintain their interest and support for the Spanish culture. After much applause and closing remarks from Daniel Mesquiti, the reception began, and candidates were asked to sign their names in the official reference book of the Spanish Honor Society, which has listed inside the signatures of all its members throughout the years.

To be inducted, students must promote the study of the Spanish language and culture by enrolling in Spanish 3-5, demonstrate high academic achievement with a 3.7 grade average in Spanish for three consecutive semesters, and demonstrate honesty, integrity, and respect for learning. As a highlight to the evening, the SHS inducted an honorary member, Fr. Jim Mueller, S.M.. Fr. Mueller chose to take the Spanish 5 AP Literature course as a personal challenge, and served as true example of resilience to our students. Newly inducted member and Sophomore Edward Briseno had this to say about the significance of his induction into the SHS: “I feel honored to be inducted into this prestigious society, and I’m proud of the work and effort I have put in to meet the requirements to be inducted. Me gustaría dar gracias a Señora Garcia y Señora Méndez por su apoyo.”

Felicidades to all of the newly inducted SHS members! Never stop learning…never stop growing! ¡Todos a Una! Congratulations, gentlemen! 

Diego Lopez
Diego Lopez
Diego Lopez
Diego Lopez
Diego Lopez
Diego Lopez