The Pep

• March 2Academic Team earns 1st Place in Mathematics at Somerset

• February 28Golf Team brings home gold from Smithson Valley Stampede

• February 23Baseball dominates in SAISD tournament, advancing to 4-0

Inaugural FangDango fulfills Fiesta tradition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Claudia Mendez

Claudia Mendez

Claudia Mendez

Diego Lopez, Staff Writer

Fiesta traditions run strong in San Antonio. Events such as the River Parade, NIOSA, the Night Parade, the King William Parade, as well as those personal family traditions like breaking cascarones, allow the greater San Antonio community to unite, experience the vibrant cultures that define San Antonio, and celebrate family, friends, and tradition.

Central Catholic High School, as an enduring cornerstone of the San Antonio community, has played an integral role in raising the young men who may come to lead the San Antonio community, and has worked to enhance our city’s great culture and tradition. This year, Central Catholic continued to fulfill that mission when they hosted the Inaugural Central Catholic Fiesta FangDango.The event, which took place on April 26th, acted as the epitome of any great fiesta party. On the Central Catholic practice field adjacent to the larger football and track field, there were around a dozen food and drink vendors, where all the great fiesta hits were sold: brisket tacos, nachos, pulled pork tacos, paletas, and more. Much of the food, particularly the meat, was prepared by a dedicated group of volunteers, most of it on campus, and was then delivered hot and ready by Central Catholic student volunteers (myself included) to the respective vendors. It was also the adult volunteers who ran the vendors, making for a busy yet rewarding experience.

Perhaps the most memorable aspect of the FangDango was the live entertainment. In fiesta tradition, Mariachis Los Águilas De Oro, a student mariachi band from Harlandale High School made an appearance at the event, as they expertly kicked off what would be an enjoyable evening at Central Catholic. Next was PM DJ Chez and Michael Collins, who infused the fiesta mood into the FanDango through their mix of fun songs. Finally, the Texas Country singer Clay Hollis, a CCHS alumnus of 2014, performed several songs with his country band on stage for the entire congregation. Notable too were the guest appearances made from Scooby Doo, Shaggy, Shuckie and Pearl from the “Fiesta Oyster” and many more local mascots. Even Rey Feo Sal Barbaro and his royal court attended the festivities, engaging with attendees and even posing for photos.

The FangDango comes at a vital  time in Central Catholic’s long history. Within the Central campus, an entirely new building is being constructed at a frightening pace, Central Catholic’s new Convocation Center. This new addition to the campus will include an larger and improved basketball court, new weight rooms, the Mother Adele Chapel, and a Meditation Garden. During the FangDango, President of Central Catholic Paul Garro spoke about the significance of these times, and how the FangDango is for the student body, and its importance in maintaining the traditions and legacy of Central Catholic. “I’d like you to please join me in giving blessing to this event and praying for all our family and relatives, those that are with us, and those that have already passed and who are watching over us,” said Mr. Garro. “During this time of Easter, let us walk with you, let us recognize you, let us be the ones that illuminate the Easter message and Gospel to all that we encounter. Let our encounters this Fiesta represent that exuberance of having a relationship with you. We ask this through Jesus Christ, our Lord, Amen.”

The conclusion of the FangDango was received well not only by students, but also many others that were in attendance. Roger Flores, elected commissioner for the Fiesta commission and proud Central Catholic dad, said, “I had a great time at the Central FangDango. It was really great to see so many of my former classmates and catch up. What a great event to celebrate both the traditions of Fiesta and the Central Brotherhood.” Francisco Garcia, a CC sophomore, said about the FangDango,“I really enjoyed getting to see my friends and family and had such a great time!”

With the inaugural FanDango’s success, we can expect this to be the beginning of a new Central Catholic tradition, one that will serve to benefit that students of Central Catholic, the larger San Antonio community, and reflect the values of Fiesta and our Catholic heritage.

Claudia Mendez

Claudia Mendez

Claudia Mendez

Claudia Mendez

Claudia Mendez