Central Film Club produces video for Bexar Fest

Luke Garcia, Staff Writer

Central Catholic will be competing on April 8 for the second time in three years in the Bexar Fest, a multimedia film festival that encourages students from in and around the San Antonio area to learn more about communications, video arts, and their community by telling life changing stories.

Each school that is invited to participate in the festival works with a nonprofit organization from Bexar county to create a brief but informative video to be entered in the area film competition. Being a part of the festival gives the students an opportunity to learn video production skills and also helps spread the word about great nonprofit organizations in the San Antonio area.

This year the Central Catholic Film Club has the honor to partner with Sunshine Cottage, a school for deaf children. The school helps children with hearing loss become part of a community centered on enriching their lives and improving their ability to listen, while simultaneously improving their language and speech. Each and every child is embraced by dedicated staff and is provided with the necessary skills to learn in a rich auditory/oral environment. Belinda Pustka, the executive director of Sunshine Cottage said, “It has always been our goal to ensure that the kids who come through here are equipped with the abilities they need.”

Film Club Moderator, Mr. Azano, enjoys the opportunity to be able to partner with this group of capable and talented students. He was asked about his role as moderator for this club, and had this to say: “I enjoy being able to help students further develop their skills in filmmaking, which is fun because they have so much creativity!” He added, “A most memorable moment was seeing how eager the students at Sunshine Cottage were to communicate with the students in the Film Club, and how much our students enjoyed working with them.” This year’s project was lead by Senior, Michael Lazcano, who said “The experience I got from working with a team on producing a short film and really seeing what Sunshine Cottage is all about was truly amazing.”

Central Catholic has previously represented in the Bexar County Film Festival. Two years ago, club members collaborated in the 2017 film festival with a local non-profit Wayward Whiskers, who works with special needs cats to provide rehabilitation and homes for needy felines. To see the 2017 Film Festival entry, go to: https://bexarfest.org/2017-bchff-videos/

To learn more about Bexar Fest, go to: https://bexarfest.org

Orion Kluckhohn
Orion Kluckhohn
Orion Kluckhohn
Orion Kluckhohn
Orion Kluckhohn