The Pep

• March 2Academic Team earns 1st Place in Mathematics at Somerset

• February 28Golf Team brings home gold from Smithson Valley Stampede

• February 23Baseball dominates in SAISD tournament, advancing to 4-0

Silver Lync combines unique talent and style

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cade Sheeran

Cade Sheeran

Cade Sheeran

Cade Sheeran, Staff Writer

Two Central Catholic Buttons joined forces and combined their talents to create something special and innovative. What was this creation? One of the most anticipated rock albums of 2019. “Silver Lync”, the self titled album from the band ‘Silver Lync’, is a clash of different sounds, genres, and musical ideas that came into fruition from the great minds of our very own Trent Jones and James Russell Herring Jr.; James providing the vocals, and Trent being the guitarist/executive producer.

Coming from varying different musical backgrounds with unique styles, no one knew what to expect when first pressing ‘play’ on this album on either Spotify, or Apple Music, the two biggest music streaming platforms of today’s age. Shorty after beginning the album, however, it is very clear that much talent and ingenuity went into this album, and no compromises were made. The album starts off with a bang, in the track “One Moment”, where metal/electric guitar fuses with 808 trap beats to create a sound nobody expected, but everybody quickly fell in love with. This was just the beginning of the experimentation and risks Silver Lync took on this album.

Silver Lync describes this project as progressive metal meeting smooth jazz, and rightfully so. The diversity of genres in this album is what makes this project not only excel, but push the boundaries of what we know as music today.

You might be wondering, who are these students and how did they create such a masterpiece at such a young age? I was wondering the same thing. That’s why I decided to interview them, to hear directly from the minds of the creators.

Cade: What artists/bands were some of your biggest influences when making the album?

Trent: I based a lot of my parts on a band called “Polyphia” who are like some guitar/hip hop/pop/trap blend I’d say they were probably the biggest influence for me.

JR: I based a lot of my lyrics and singing influences from my favorite artists such as John Mayer, and a lot of pop/singer songwriter material

Cade: Interesting, how did y’all get started?

Trent: Me and JR were in this band with some seniors last year and they left so we basically had to just reload the lineup this year

Cade: I’m interested in how y’all make your songs. What is Silver Lync’s general process when first coming up with song ideas?

Trent: Well first we kind of laid out how many of each genre we wanted on the album. for JR’s songs it’s usually he will write everything and then I’ll write my hook and solo after he’s done recording it. And then for my songs I’ll usually start with the production so I’ll do the drums and then throw in all the like samples and stuff I want, and then AFTER that I’ll write the guitar part to it, and JR writes lyrics for all the songs.

Cade: Awesome, what’s next in store for Silver Lync?

JR: We plan on dropping one song every month until we both go to college. We will be attending different schools in different states, until then we want to release as much of our creativity as possible

What will come next from this Central Catholic talent? The possibilities are endless. Trent Jones has received multiple full ride scholarships from the top music schools in the country to pursue his music dreams. J.R., though not going to college specifically for this, plans to never stop making music, and follow his dreams of creating art that will change the lives of many. Final verdict? 10/10.

Cade Sheeran