The Pep

• September 5Central Community steps up to help Harvey victims

• September 5Yearbook staff chooses 'Element' as 2018 Fang theme

• September 5Freshmen build bonds during annual 'Fish Fry'

Buttons battle to victory against Antonian

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kaiwen Wang

Kaiwen Wang

Kaiwen Wang

Gary Pocrnich, Contributor

The Central Catholic Buttons were victorious in a 16-14 defensive dogfight last Friday evening, November 9, at West Avenue, facing their cross town rivals, the Antonian Apaches. From start to finish the game was a battle that was too close for any comfort as Central ultimately pulled through after a late game interception that clinched the win. The fourth straight rivalry win clinches Central a playoff meeting with the formidable Liberty Christian Warriors of Argyle, Texas, on November 17 in Argyle. The Buttons also commemorated the late Father Don Cowie, who passed away Thursday evening, with a blue cross centered on the front of their helmets.

Without a doubt, the Buttons defense came to play Friday night, limiting the Apache offense to just two plays above twenty yards. The hard hitting linebacker tandem of Carlos Reyes,‘19,  and John Montelongo,‘19, kept the Apache running game at a standstill with the majority of Antonian’s rushing yardage coming off of QB powers and scrambles. The front four of the Buttons notched multiple sacks from the interior with John Tristan, ‘21, and Josiah Alanis, ‘19, providing pressure up the middle. The star studded secondary also shined under the lights Friday evening, allowing only 61 passing yards on just 7 completions. However, the play of the game had to be the game icing interception by corner Steve Carrasco, ‘20, who read the route perfectly and snatched the pass as the intended receiver fell backwards. The game changing pick came with just over a minute remaining in regulation and put an end to any scoring hopes for the Apache offense that was marching down the field.

After a slow start offensively, the Buttons eventually found the passing lanes needed to funnel their clock chewing offense through Senior QB, Nick Chavez. Chavez connected with play-making receiver, Jared Torralva,‘19, for 127 of Central’s 221 passing yards. On the ground the speedy duo of Gibby Garza, ‘20, and Zach Davidsmeyer, ‘19, combined for 79 yards with Garza scoring two touchdowns from inside the five yard line. The crown jewel of the offensive performance had to be the impactful play of the offensive line led by the tremendous tackle duo of Jon Bouldin, ‘19, and Zach Holm, ‘20, who allowed just one tackle for a loss of yardage.

Friday night’s contest was an emotional one for the Buttons, as the Central community had just learned earlier in the day of Fr. Cowie’s passing. For many of the players, Fr. Cowie was a member of the team and synonymous with game day, “everyone knew how much he loved the players and the school… Fr. Don really served as a staple for the school and has rubbed off on the football team. Every home game he would lead the invocation, closing every prayer [with] ‘may the father and the son and the holy spirit descend upon you forever’. You always knew how proud he was”,  said Nick Garza, a 2019 defensive lineman. With Fr.Don’s spirit in their hearts and a fresh start in the playoffs, the Buttons will once again look to survive and thrive as the postseason begins.

Kaiwen Wang

Kaiwen Wang
Kaiwen Wang
Kaiwen Wang
Kaiwen Wang
Kaiwen Wang
Kaiwen Wang
Kaiwen Wang

158 Total Views 4 Views Today