Annual Eighth Grade visits showcase the Central element

Matthew Onghai, Online Editor

On October 5, 2017, Central Catholic held its annual eighth grade visits. Many Catholic middle schoolers funneled into our doors and learned about our many classes and organizations. Among some of these Catholic middle schools were Holy Spirit and St. Luke’s; many students from these schools showed an interest in attending Central Catholic.

Throughout the day, the prospective freshmen toured various classes with a Central Catholic student as their tour guide. Some of the classes visited included Coach Walker’s AP Physics classes, MSG Robles’ JROTC LET II classes, and Mrs. Winston’s Geometry classes. Although many of the classes were small in size due to the large amount of student participation in the effort, prospective freshmen were able to get a feel for the Central Catholic element and its learning environment. Hopefully many of these eighth grade students will show interest by shadowing some of our students later in the school year!

Many organizations, such as the Central Catholic Button Band, set up displays to meet interested freshmen during their tours. Teams and organizations such as the multiple JROTC teams, basketball, football, and even the Pep were present, speaking with the freshmen and explaining the advantages of their specific commitments. After Band performances, Chris Hohman, a member of the Button Band, told the Pep, “The band did very well. We recruited about 50 people, all for playing brass. Our ‘Blue’ (the Button Band drum line) also performed well for the eighth graders.” Overall, it was a very successful recruiting day for Central and its organizations; with the amount of incoming freshmen interest produced from the visits, we can expect a large influx of motivated freshmen during the 2018-2019 school year.