The Pep

• March 2Academic Team earns 1st Place in Mathematics at Somerset

• February 28Golf Team brings home gold from Smithson Valley Stampede

• February 23Baseball dominates in SAISD tournament, advancing to 4-0

Button aerial attack wreaks havoc on winless Warhorses

Back to Article
Back to Article

Orion Kluckhohn

Orion Kluckhohn

Orion Kluckhohn

Gary Pocrnich, Sports Editor

Central Catholic rolled on to 4-0 after dismantling the Devine Warhorses 28-2, Friday night at Benson ‘66 Stadium. As was expected, the game was a battle from the start with both teams exchanging blow after blow, but as the seconds ticked away, the tides of success ultimately flowed in the favor of the Central Catholic Buttons.

Coach Santiago’s pass heavy scheme was in full effect on Friday night when, after a slow start, the Button offense went into hyper drive with their air raid of the Warhorse defensive secondary. The roots of success in the air reside in the trenches and week 4 was yet another display of the dominating and seamless pocket created by the hard nosed, offensive line.  In the pocket, a protected Nick Chavez rifled passes left and right as he propelled his way towards 197 passing yards and 3 TDs in the air. Two of those touchdowns were caught by Junior WR, Jared Torralva, as he glided across the endzone to work his way open. The highly anticipated and dynamic receiver combo of Jack Perkins, 18’  and Ty Williamson, 18’ made its debut Friday, and it didn’t disappoint. The duo combined for 139 yards on just three catches. Williamson, who has fought his way back on the field after a pre-camp leg injury, made his season debut last night with an 84 yard dash to the house.

On defense Central shut out the uniquely schemed Warhorse offense. The only score was a safety from an early botched punt snap which would land in the back of the Button endzone. Although the shutout looks nice, it wasn’t pretty. The run heavy Warhorse offense grinded out 167 yards against the Button front 7. Devine missed opportunities to score and the lankey Warhorse QB escaped from a suffocating pocket on multiple occasions. With that being the case Central made stops when the team needed it. Winning the giveaway take away battle has been the defense’s specialty this season and week 4 was no different. Ironically, the Buttons got three interceptions against the notably run heavy Warhorse offense. CB Frank Wilson IV, and LBs Jay Juarez and Ryan Garcia all intercepted passes to set up the offense. Ryan Garcia was also a tremendous game changer in the run game as he chopped down the Warhorse running backs right in their tracks throughout the contest. Every week the score of the opposing offense continues to go down as the competition level rises. The scariest thing about this defense is the fact that they’re not even close to full potential and they still shut out one of the premier offenses on this year’s schedule. The best has clearly yet to come from the star studded defensive lineup.

Like Harlandale, Devine is another physical team that’s disciplined and consists of a rich football culture. It’s fairly clear that last year’s results are all but obsolete as Central beat another team who they lost to last season.  This was the best team Central has faced thus far but it didn’t seem to matter. The Buttons simply continue to dominate. As the Central approaches the meat of their schedule, they will play the last of their three game homestead stint as the Winn High Mavericks contest gets closer. The winds of this promising new football season now point onward to week 5.

Orion Kluckhohn
Orion Kluckhohn
Orion Kluckhohn
Orion Kluckhohn
Orion Kluckhohn
Orion Kluckhohn