Central Catholic vs Eagle Pass: Game preview

Central Football going the distance to meet Eagle Pass, literally…

Rob Smith, Lead Editor

The Central Catholic football team is traveling today to play the Eagle Pass Mavericks in what is looking to be a very tough game for the Buttons. The team is traveling two and a half to three hours for this game to meet their talented opponents. When asked what he was going to do during the long bus ride, junior Jack Perkins said, “I’m going to sleep, and listening to music.” Sophomore Hilario Gomez said “I am going to chill and listen to the whole album of 21 Savage.” Coach Gomez said, “I’m going to drive a vehicle with all of the coaches in it.” Band member Bryan Wagner also commented on the trip “Well, we are going and coming back today, so it is going to be a long trip and we will be tired afterwards but it will be fun.”

loadout_1

Junior Austin Vargas will finally be back tonight after an injury that has kept him of the field for quite some time. When asked what his feelings were about playing tonight, he said, “It feels great, it’s different to be watching from the sideline than to be on the field giving your blood, sweat, and tears, which I couldn’t do while I was injured, but tonight I’m back.”

We also had the chance to sit in during coach Green’s meeting with the team before they boarded the bus to depart. They started with about five minutes of quiet time, and coach Green broke the silence with “This is your shot.” He took attendance and then continued his talk by saying, “It’s a business trip” and “It’s not about winning tonight, it’s about playing together, giving 100% effort the whole game and pulling through it.” The team rose in excitement and crowded together in the center of the weight room chanting “together.”

coach-green

Central Catholic is facing a very strong team tonight and they need all of the school’s support even if Section R is not all there. We wish the football team good luck tonight and we want to tell them that Section R is with them in spirit.unknown

Varsity players sophomore Hilario Gomez (left) and junior Jack Perkins (right) sitting together waiting for departure.

The team is currently 2-2 and they look to make it 3-2 tonight in order to prepare for their district games against St. Anthony, St. Joseph’s, and the school on West Avenue. Central football looks in great shape to give the school another great homecoming week and perhaps another district championship this season. 

You can follow the game with us on twitter:

@ThePepCCHS

Also do not forget to retweet Central’s Section R in the student section competition against Clark High School @TXstudentsectio

Read more stories here:

the-pep.org