CC Soccer stuns in striking 3-2 OT win in Regional opener

Freshman phenom Jose Gallegos scores winning OT goal

Mr. Cassler, Adviser

We’ve all heard it before, right? “When the going gets tough, the tough get going.” Saturday afternoon, February 25 at Benson, ’66 Stadium, the Central Catholic Buttons varsity soccer team brought new meaning to that venerable old figure of speech. And they did it with less than two minutes in regular play to tie the game, then again in the first four minutes of overtime play.

This is a team that has defied the odds, harumphed the nay-sayers, and turned San Antonio high school soccer on its ear. At the beginning of this soccer season, virtually no one would have anticipated that Central Catholic’s varsity soccer squad would be poised so triumphantly on top of the city soccer scene. These committed young athletes, led by Coach Cartee, have achieved this rise to the top of San Antonio’s high school soccer scene through sheer determination, teamwork, and gumption.

This afternoon’s game against Dallas Parish Episcopal looked as though it might slip away. Parish went up 2-1 late in the second half with about 8 minutes remaining, over the only first half goal scored by Diego Gonzalez. Several unsuccessful shots on goal by the scrappy Central offense seemed only to steel up their determination to get the ball into the net. With less than two minutes remaining in the match, a corner kick from Sophomore Angel Bacho brought the ball to the top of the box, and somehow, through the throng of bodies trying to dominate and control the ball, Junior Center Forward Rob Smith was able to command enough control of the ball to send it through the melee, past the Parish goalie, and into the awaiting net. Smith’s stunning goal was exactly what Central needed to send this hard fought match into OT.

Four to five minutes elapsed quickly with two Parish injuries, and one Central injury stopping the clock. Soon, though, the delay in the game became an afterthought. Freshman Attacking Center Midfielder Jose Gallegos assumed possession of the ball near center field, drove it past Parish defenders and lasered the ball deftly through the sturdy Parish goalie and put it into the net to clinch this first game in the regional playoff schedule.

Dominating most of the game offensively and defensively, the gaps in the Central defense were minimal, but Parish was able to capitalize on them. But it was this determined, scrappy, and selfish Button offense that was able to keep taking possession away from Parish, and allowing the Button offense to find the net in the final remaining minutes of the game.

Next round for the Buttons looks like it will be against John Paul II from Plano, who just defeated Beaumont Kelly, and the match will be held in Waco on Tuesday, the 28th.