District Attorney Nico Lahood Speaks to Central Catholic Students

Daniel Resendez, Staff Writer

Friday, November 11th, Central Catholic was visited by the San Antonio District Attorney Nico Lahood. During his visit, Lahood discussed with sophomores and juniors the importance of striving for success & believing in one’s self. Lahood shared with the students the mistakes he has made in his life, and made clear that no matter what their mistake, they can always work hard to become a better person. Despite being labeled by others as a “convict” at the age of twenty-one for selling drugs, Lahood continued to work hard to overcome society’s image of him and was able to turn his life around. He stressed to the students that they alone are the creators of their own destiny. “You’ll never live beyond what you believe,” said Lahood. Several times throughout his lecture, Nico stressed the importance of doing things to one’s full capability and never giving up.img_3896

Another point made by Nico Lahood when he addressed the student body is that our decisions in our lives can greatly affect our reputation. He said with the audience a quote that he remembered his father telling him, “It will take you a lifetime to build a great reputation, but only a second to ruin it.” Lahood shared cases he has come across while working as the District Attorney that demonstrate people making poor choices to reiterate his point of making good decisions. In addition, Lahood expressed his belief that God can always help us in our times of need. Being a very religious man, Nico made it clear through the use of many Bible verses that we can always turn to the Lord for help. Nico particularly quoted Matthew 5:13-14, “You are the salt of the Earth… You are the light of the world.” Lahood stressed to the students that they should live out and spread the word of God. Overall, Nico Lahood delivered a very impactful speech that left a lasting message on the students of Central Catholic.