Model UN club examines international issues

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mr. Bowlin

Mr. Bowlin

Mr. Bowlin

Demitri Garcia, Editor

On January 9th and 10th, students from Central Catholic became pioneers as members of MUNSA, the Model United Nations San Antonio. Led by organizer and Senior Demitri Garcia, the students participated as the very first delegation from Central Catholic to the event. This event took place at Trinity University, and was hosted by The International School of the Americas. This event is attended by high school schools all over the world. Students from Mexico, Mali, and Japan were among some noticeable. Being the only Catholic school in attendance, nine Central students, along with Mr. Bowlin, bravely ventured where no Button has ventured before. 

The brave buttons in attendance at MUNSA were: Demitri Garica, Nicholas Whelan, Teagan Flinn, Diego Lopez, , Maxwell Feldman, Alejandro Hopkins, Caleb Solorzano, Ernesto Gomez and Albert Wylie. When asked about their experiences, the students described MUNSA as “memorable” and “incredibly useful.” Within the delegation, Central represented Finland and Panama. These students collaborated with over 1,000 fellow high school students to resolve contemporary international issues. 

In the future, the team hopes to “have a larger presence on campus” and “have mastery over the intricacies of MUNSA”, said founding member Ernesto Gomez. By offering an additional academic extra-curricular, Central Catholic is advancing ahead of the competition. When asked to elaborate on his reasoning for creating this opportunity, Demitri Garica answered by stating “everyday I hope my impact has been meaningful and positive… this is one outlet I hope is utilize for everyone.”