Central Senior Makes Day Memorable For Cheerleader

Paul Witt, Editor

A small gesture of kindness can go a very long way, and this was exactly the case for Central Catholic student Matthew Garcia, when he willingly stepped in to comfort and support a young cheerleader in a time of need.

Little to Matthew’s knowledge at the time, it was “Parents’ Day” at the young cheerleader, Addie Rodriguez’ school. This was an event for all the cheerleaders to perform a cheer with their parents during the middle school football game. However, Addie’s father, a senior airman in the Air Force, was unable to make this event due to his recent deployment. While Matthew was watching his younger brother compete in the game, he noticed from the stands, Addie, who was crying on the sidelines while the other girls were with their fathers. Almost as instinct, Matthew jumped the fence and approached Addie, asking her “Do you mind if I pick you up?” She replied, “Yes.” Instantaneously, an intense applause came from the crowd, as they had just witnessed a truly special event.

After the game was over, both Addie and her mother Alexis Perry, approached Matthew to thank him for what he had done. “It was just so sweet.” Mrs. Perry told him, “You have no idea how much that meant to her.” It was then that Addie went up to him and gave him a hug, telling him “Thank you.” “She had the biggest smile on her face when she was hugging me.” Matthew stated.  Mrs. Perry then insisted on somehow repaying Matthew for being so kind to her daughter and eventually agreed on supporting him on one of his upcoming cross country meets.

Matthew’s actions have certainly not gone unnoticed and are currently bringing him a large amount of attention. Just this past Wednesday, he appeared on ABC National News where he was praised and complimented for his kind deeds. “I don’t think I deserve any attention for this to be completely honest,” Matthew stated while being interviewed. “It was just the right thing to do.” http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/student-surprises-cheerleader-military-dad-make-performance/story?id=42748920

Matthew Garcia has recently shown many how to be a better and more genuine person, and has also inspired a countless number of his peers to do the same. He is man that leads with his actions, and also a man that leads with his faith. He has not only displayed to the city of San Antonio, but all of America what it means to be a Central Catholic student.